Making time to go to college and earn a degree is hard for some. Many working adults have families and full-time jobs, while some high school graduates may have to work full-time to pay for college. Luckily, aspiring medical assistant students have options over the traditional classroom-based college education. There are multiple colleges who offer online instruction in medical assisting.
Online learning allows you to earn your degree in between other life responsibilities. Online medical assisting programs are disciplined, concise programs designed to train you as a flexible medical professional. A certificate, diploma or two-year Associate degree may be offered depending on the online school you choose.
There are many things to consider when choosing an online school:
- Accreditation- The medical assisting program you choose should be accredited. When you graduate from an accredited program, you’ll be able to sit for the medical assisting certification exam (CMA) given by the American Association of Medical Assistants. Some programs may not hold accreditation, so be sure to ask before enrolling.
- Cost- Online medical assistant schools generally cost about the same as class-based programs. However, be sure to ask for a list of fees and costs to help make an educated decision.
- Graduation requirements- Some online programs may require that you complete class time in a physical classroom setting. Many online programs have physical locations throughout the United States. Also find out if hands-on clinical hours, called an externship, is required for graduation.
- Education quality- Be sure to thoroughly investigate an online medical assisting program before you commit. The school should be able to provide genuine testimonials, documented program outcomes like graduation rates and job placement rates. Don’t judge online schools based on information gathered from their website- call the school to find out more.
Let’s take a look at online medical assisting schools:
1) Dakota County Technical College
A combination of online and classroom learning is offered for a degree in medical assisting. You may earn either a 42-credit diploma, or 62-credit Associate of Applied Science degree in medical assisting. Prerequisites for admission are required.
2) Fortis College
Fortis College offers an online degree as a medical administrative assistant. This degree prepares you to handle administrative duties in a medical setting. This includes medical billing and coding, handling medical records and patient scheduling. Graduates often work in medical clinics and hospitals. Graduations may be able to sit for certification exams; be sure to ask Fortis College for accreditation and certification exam opportunities.
3) Keiser University
Keiser University offers an Associate of Applied Science degree in medical assisting. The program is 60 credits and combines general education courses and core medical assisting classes. The University has physical locations in Florida, including Ft. Lauderdale, Lakeland, Pembroke Pines, Tallahassee, Tampa, Melbourne and Sarasota for students who wish a more traditional classroom. Keiser offers a new medical assisting course each month so students don’t have to wait to enroll.
4) Penn Foster College
Penn Foster offers a medical assisting Associate degree. The program is accredited so graduates may sit for the CMA credentialing exam. Students are sent textbooks via the mail, while coursework is completed online. The College offers full support via phone, email and online for help throughout the program.
5) Sanford- Brown
Sanford-Brown offers a combination of online and in-classroom training in medical assisting. Students may earn a certificate, diploma or Associate degree, depending on what physical campus they choose to attend. Sanford-Brown has campuses across the United States to make it easy for students to enroll in the medical assisting program.
6) Herzing University
Herzing University offers both a diploma and Associate of Science degree in medical assisting. The diploma program takes about 12-20 months to complete while the advanced degree takes up to 24 months. Students may begin in the diploma program and roll into the Associate degree program if they choose. Students may further their education by extending an Associate degree into a Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management through the University as well.
7) Ultimate Medical Academy
if you are considering attending school, you could request information ( free of cost ) from multiple schools by clicking the button below
Ultimate Medical Academy offers a diploma of medical administrative assisting. This course prepares students to work as an administrative medical assistant and handle medical billing, medical records, appointment setting and other administrative duties. The online course takes about 18 months to complete and graduates may sit for certification through the National Healthcareer Association.
resources for students headed to school
- 1 Am i cut out for medical assisting?
- 2 Is it highly stressful?
- 3 Why is certification important?
- 4 What does a MA do?
- 5 What would i learn in school?
- 6 Are free grants and scholarships available?
- 7 Should i go for a AAS degree or certificate?
- 8 How does this differ from CNA?
- 9 Is on-the-job training better?
- 10 How does this differ from LPN?
resources for students out of college
- 1Can i call myself a nurse?
- 2What specialties can i pursue?
- 3How much salary to expect?
- 4Passing the CMA exam and earning certification
- 5What to expect in a workday?
- 6Writing an effective resume
- 7How can externships help me in my career?
- 8Frequently asked job interview questions and answers
- 9How find a job with no experience
- 10Duties and responsibilities of a MA
* Featured medical assisting schools
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
- Diploma - Medical General
- And more...
- Associate of Applied Science: Medical Assisting
- Master of Science - DNP Executive Leader
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
Please Call 844-289-5375 to speak to a customer representative.
- Medical Assisting - Associate
- Dental Assisting - Associate
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Associate of Science in Health Science (Military Only)