Making time to go to college and earn a degree is hard for some. Many working adults have families and full-time jobs, while some high school graduates may have to work full-time to pay for college. Luckily, aspiring medical assistant students have options over the traditional classroom-based college education. There are multiple colleges who offer online instruction in medical assisting.
Online learning allows you to earn your degree in between other life responsibilities. Online medical assisting programs are disciplined, concise programs designed to train you as a flexible medical professional. A certificate, diploma or two-year Associate degree may be offered depending on the online school you choose.
There are many things to consider when choosing an online school:
- Accreditation– The medical assisting program you choose should be accredited. When you graduate from an accredited program, you’ll be able to sit for the medical assisting certification exam (CMA) given by the American Association of Medical Assistants. Some programs may not hold accreditation, so be sure to ask before enrolling.
- Cost– Online medical assistant schools generally cost about the same as class-based programs. However, be sure to ask for a list of fees and costs to help make an educated decision.
- Graduation requirements– Some online programs may require that you complete class time in a physical classroom setting. Many online programs have physical locations throughout the United States. Also find out if hands-on clinical hours, called an externship, is required for graduation.
- Education quality– Be sure to thoroughly investigate an online medical assisting program before you commit. The school should be able to provide genuine testimonials, documented program outcomes like graduation rates and job placement rates. Don’t judge online schools based on information gathered from their website- call the school to find out more.
Let’s take a look at online medical assisting schools:
1) Dakota County Technical College
A combination of online and classroom learning is offered for a degree in medical assisting. You may earn either a 42-credit diploma, or 62-credit Associate of Applied Science degree in medical assisting. Prerequisites for admission are required.
2) Fortis College
Fortis College offers an online degree as a medical administrative assistant. This degree prepares you to handle administrative duties in a medical setting. This includes medical billing and coding, handling medical records and patient scheduling. Graduates often work in medical clinics and hospitals. Graduations may be able to sit for certification exams; be sure to ask Fortis College for accreditation and certification exam opportunities.
3) Keiser University
Keiser University offers an Associate of Applied Science degree in medical assisting. The program is 60 credits and combines general education courses and core medical assisting classes. The University has physical locations in Florida, including Ft. Lauderdale, Lakeland, Pembroke Pines, Tallahassee, Tampa, Melbourne and Sarasota for students who wish a more traditional classroom. Keiser offers a new medical assisting course each month so students don’t have to wait to enroll.
4) Penn Foster College
Penn Foster offers a medical assisting Associate degree. The program is accredited so graduates may sit for the CMA credentialing exam. Students are sent textbooks via the mail, while coursework is completed online. The College offers full support via phone, email and online for help throughout the program.
5) Sanford- Brown
Sanford-Brown offers a combination of online and in-classroom training in medical assisting. Students may earn a certificate, diploma or Associate degree, depending on what physical campus they choose to attend. Sanford-Brown has campuses across the United States to make it easy for students to enroll in the medical assisting program.
6) Herzing University
Herzing University offers both a diploma and Associate of Science degree in medical assisting. The diploma program takes about 12-20 months to complete while the advanced degree takes up to 24 months. Students may begin in the diploma program and roll into the Associate degree program if they choose. Students may further their education by extending an Associate degree into a Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management through the University as well.
7) Ultimate Medical Academy
if you are considering attending school, you could request information ( free of cost ) from multiple schools by clicking the button below
Ultimate Medical Academy offers a diploma of medical administrative assisting. This course prepares students to work as an administrative medical assistant and handle medical billing, medical records, appointment setting and other administrative duties. The online course takes about 18 months to complete and graduates may sit for certification through the National Healthcareer Association.
resources for students headed to school
- 1 Am i cut out for medical assisting?
- 2 Is it highly stressful?
- 3 Why is certification important?
- 4 What does a MA do?
- 5 What would i learn in school?
- 6 Are free grants and scholarships available?
- 7 Should i go for a AAS degree or certificate?
- 8 How does this differ from CNA?
- 9 Is on-the-job training better?
- 10 How does this differ from LPN?
resources for students out of college
- 1Can i call myself a nurse?
- 2What specialties can i pursue?
- 3How much salary to expect?
- 4Passing the CMA exam and earning certification
- 5What to expect in a workday?
- 6Writing an effective resume
- 7How can externships help me in my career?
- 8Frequently asked job interview questions and answers
- 9How find a job with no experience
- 10Duties and responsibilities of a MA
* Featured medical assisting schools
The College of Health Care Professions is an ABHES-accredited institution with a long tradition of success. We are dedicated to providing quality online training programs, which conveniently provide you the knowledge and technical proficiency necessary to become employable in entry-level allied health care positions, all while supporting your continued career goals
- Medical Assistant
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
- Diploma - Medical General
- And more...
The Berkeley Advantage®is part of a proven approach to career-focused education that can help students prepare for success.
- AAS in Medical Assistant
- Certificate in Medical Assistant
- Sterile Processing Technician
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant Specialist
- And more...
- Clinical Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Health Information Management, Billing and Coding - Diploma
Over 500 Long Island companies have hired our graduates in the past year.
Hunter Business School was founded in 1972 for the purpose of providing quality career training through intensive and innovative programs. Hunter Business School’s mission is to provide students with the opportunity to receive a high quality education for the career best suited to their ability, interest and ambition. We are an educational environment characterized by high expectations and staffed by professionals who are knowledgeable, compassionate, creative, supportive and effective.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Billing Specialist
- Medical Assistant Technician - Diploma
- Medical Assistant - Associate Degree
- Medical Billing and Coding Specialist - Diploma
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Coding and Billing
- Nursing (Practical)
Whether you're looking for a new career, or searching to enhance your current position, Delta Technical College(DTC) can help kick-start your educational goals.Through a diverse, innovative mix of mechanical trades, transportation, health and wellness, as well as allied health programs, DTC has earned a reputation for excellence in meeting local community needs, in regards to its workforce.
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
- Medical Coding Specialist
Get your career started with an education from Heritage College. We offer programs and degrees for a career as an x-ray medical technician, medical assistant, massage therapist, esthetician, surgical technologist, personal trainer, pharmacy technician, or cosmetologist.
- X-Ray Medical Technician - Medical Assistant- Diploma
- Veterinary Technician- Diploma