Medical Assistant Job Description – What does a MA do all day?
Medical assisting is a rewarding health care career that allows individuals to work with patients of all ages from all lifestyles. Those interested in pursuing a career that involves helping patients, working with doctors and providing support to other health-care professionals should consider medical assisting.
Find The Best Medical Assistant School For You!
Providing patient care and performing assessments are a major part of a medical assistant’s duties.
- Patient care consists of helping patients with mobility, removing clothing covering afflicted parts and activities of daily living that include hygiene and toileting.
- An assessment is a term used to describe the process used to collect information. An assessment includes obtaining vital signs such as blood pressure, temperature, pulse and breathing rate. Height and weight are also recorded during a patient assessment.
- MAs perform a physical exam as part of an assessment looking for abnormalities like deformities, swelling, bruising or discoloration and cuts or scratches.
- A MA, through questions asked during the assessment process, collects information pertaining to patient history, such as diagnosis, medication list and allergies. The information discovered during their evaluation is recorded into the patients chart and reported to the doctor or nurse.
Performing clerical duties like compiling patient charts, scheduling appointments and answering phones is included within the job description of a medical assistant.
- Patient charts are constantly changing with new information being added and old information removed. A MA is responsible for assuring patient files are complete and intact before and after each visit.They place pertinent information like test results, patient history and medication list at the front ensuring the physician is aware of the available information.
- A medical assistant schedules patients for appointments and deletes cancellations from the calendar. Keeping an organized calendar is beneficial because it allows the staff to see how well time is managed.